Ben-wa-balls.org is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What are Ben Wa balls?
Ben Wa balls, also referred to as Ben Wah Balls, Burmese balls, Venus balls or Geisha balls, are small marble-sized balls that can be used to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and tighten the vagina. They are sometimes connected by a string or a silicone coating.
They’ve been around for hundreds of years but have recently seen a surge in popularity after being featured in the Fifty Shades of Grey novels.
How Are They Different Than Kegel Balls?
You’ve probably heard of kegel or ben wa balls (aka orgasm balls, rin-no-tama, Venus balls or Geisha balls). But what are they and what is the difference between the two? It’s simple: kegel balls are used for kegel exercises to help with pelvic floor strength. Ben wa balls can be a type of kegel ball. Ben wa balls are designed to be a sexual product, as well.
Kegel balls are great for pelvic floor training and vagina muscles strength training. They are usually weighted balls that can either be plastic or stainless steel. Ben wa balls are not always weighted since they are designed for sexual gratification.
My Favorite Ben Wa Ball
- Professional Post-Pregnancy Training - Adorime Kegel exercise weights kit is made especially for women who struggle with peeing when laughing, running, sneezing or coughing.
After a lot of deliberation, I purchased these. I’ve had 2 kids and began experiencing some leaking issues whenever I sneezed or coughed…and it was getting worse. I did some research and bought this set- and the packaging was absolutely adorable. It comes with a little storage bag , a pair of weights, a holder, and some lubrication. In terms of how I used it, I began exercising with them for an hour every day, before progressing to 3 hours a day. I’m getting compliments from my husband and I’m no longer rushing off to the restroom after a surprise sneeze. No more pantiliners either!
How to Use Ben Wa Balls
Learning how to use ben wa balls is important- and there are several ways they can be used:
- Pelvic exercise: Kegel exercises are a great way to strengthen your pelvic muscles. You can use the kegel ball to squeeze and contract your pelvic floor muscles. You can do up to three sets a day. Kegel experts advise that you follow these general steps for a great kegel exercise:
- Lie on your back, lube up and insert the balls carefully into your vagina. There should not be much give when inserting the balls, if there is, you might want to use more lube.
- Squeeze your pelvic floor muscles with the balls inside
- Hold the balls in for 5 seconds at a time.
- Release and rest for a couple of seconds and then repeat these steps.
- Solo sexual pleasure: a ben wa ball can be a great tool for solo pleasure. When keeping the balls in, they will enhance the sensation you feel as you explore your body. You can use a vibrator or your fingers to give extra pleasure while the balls are inside your vagina.
- For partner play: You can also use ben wa balls during sex to increase sensitivity when with a partner. They can be inserted before you have sex or can be used during foreplay. Some of these balls can be used both vaginally and anally to amp up bedroom playtime.
Choosing the Right Size Kegel Ball
- What tampon size do you usually use? – Try a ball size similar to that the size you use (small, medium, large, etc).
- Have you had a C-section delivery? – You might want to try a small or medium internal size.
- Can you snuggly fit 2 fingers side-by-side within your vagina? – A medium internal size might work best for you.
- Is there greater than 2 finger space when you fit them in your vagina? – Maybe a medium to large internal size is the right fit.
- Have you had a previous vaginal delivery? – Medium or large internal size might be best.
- Has a small tampon slipped out of position in the past? – Medium or large internal sizes might be right for you!
There are so many different types of kegel and ben wa balls that women and men can use for various reasons and exercises. Some of these balls are made with different materials and weights for those of different learning levels.
Ben Wa Balls On A String
- ✅INNOVATIVE 6 WEIGHT PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM: Training your pelvic floor muscles is just like training any other muscle: progression and an adaptive system is required to see results. Having 6 weights rather than just 4, our kegal weight set is designed to keep your routine challenging and thus make your muscles continually stronger. Four weights simply are not enough to stimulate your muscles in order to experience progressive and significant gains in strength and tightness.
Strings are such a great addition for your ben wa balls as they make them easier to remove but can cause even more stimulation when used.
There are a couple of design options that you can choose when looking for the right balls:
- One kegel ball attached to a long string
- Two separate balls attached by string
- Two balls are attached and have a string for removal
The strings are usually made of silicon but various types of string can be used to hold the balls together. These balls are great for someone just starting to use ben wa balls as it makes it a lot easier to remove them once you’re done.
Just like the balls themselves, it is important to cleanse the string before insertion. These balls can be more difficult and time-consuming to clean but once you get the hang of cleaning them, it gets easier.
- [Aid Performance of Kegel Exercises] When using Kegel exercise balls as part of your pelvic floor exercise routine, you are able to use the balls as markers of your progression.
A vibrating ben wa ball is an absolute treat for the right buyer. These balls do exactly what the name suggests and can be remote-controlled or wired. Sets usually come with two connected vibrating balls. Some of these balls even have an adjustable speed control so that you are enjoying them exactly how you want.
It can also be a fun product to use when with a partner. The remote-control or wire options allow your partner to be in control of the vibration setting while it is inside of you. However, wired options can be bothersome at times since the wire is coming out of your vagina. It might make for an awkward time compared to the remote-control or hands-free options.
One thing to note before purchasing these is that they come at a hefty price compared to a traditional kegel ball and they also are not meant to be performed for pelvic floor muscle training but just for sexual acts. With that being said, these balls are also great for anal pleasure as well.
Kegel Balls With Adjustable Weights
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
A kegel ball with adjustable weights can be perfect to help you strengthen your kegel muscle. Adjustable weight options can help you to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.
These weighted exercise balls are meant for those who have mastered a basic kegel ball and want to move on to something more advanced. The weights works kind of like how regular weights do when you work out. The stronger your pelvic floor becomes the heavier the weight you might need to sustain this.
It’s best that when you’re starting with weighted balls, you start with the lighter ball and work your way up in weight. If you start with a weight that is too heavy, you can easily cause yourself pain. Weighted balls are a great way to tighten and tone but being cautious will save you down the line.
When you use them, make sure that your pelvic muscles are tightened and hold onto the string as it is inserted to ensure a complete insertion. The string will start lifting away from your hand as you tighten. After this, you can go on with your exercises without worry.
Duotone Ben Wa Balls
- What is Ben Wa Ball? Invented hundreds of years ago yet still popular to this day, Ben Wa Balls have been one of women's favorite items to use. Now they come in many varieties and variations called Duotone Balls and Kegel Balls. People also refer these kind of products as Ben Wah Balls, Love Balls, and Smart Balls.
These balls usually have a hollow plastic outside with a smaller weighted metal ball on the inside. This type of ball creates a subtle vibrating sensation when used. They are a popular option since they can come in a variety of different styles and can be used for both intimacies and exercise.
Because of this subtle vibration, it can be a great pleasure ball for your sex life. This is not the only thing they are good for, however. Many people use duotone ben wa balls for their kegel muscle as well. Since some options have balls with weight inside of them, it’s perfect for your exercises.
There are also silicon options but note that these should only be used with a water-based lubricant. Most of these balls are between 1 to 2 inches and work for most women. These balls are a very popular option since they can be used by a variety of women.
Since these balls will reside within your vaginal walls, you must learn about anything that could put your body at risk.
When using the balls, make sure to:
- Only squeeze for 5 seconds with breaks just as long
- Not keep the balls in for more than six hours
- Make sure the balls are clean after every use
You should contact a health professional if you run into any severe pain, unusual discharge or odor. It’s also advised that before using this product, you may want to contact your health care provider if you:
- are pregnant or have just had a child
- have existing pelvic pains or infections
- have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- use a menstrual cup
Also, make sure to not overuse the balls as it might lead to overexertion and tearing that can lead to further discomfort and pain.
Kegel balls are a great way to enhance your sexual health but it is important to keep these things in mind. You are working with a very sensitive part of your body and you must be taking care of it as well as you can.
Care and Cleaning
Before using a ben wa or kegel ball, make sure that it is thoroughly washed. You can use antibacterial, mild soap and warm water. Once done with the kegel balls, repeat this step to clean them.
To store the balls, make sure they have a case or some type of packaging that they can be stored in. You want to make sure that the kegel balls are completely clean and stored correctly to keep any bacteria from growing on them. This can lead to vaginal infection down the line.
It’s important that if your ben wa or kegel balls have a string, that you clean that properly as well. You want to make sure that every single part of your ball is completely clean before use.
Check out more ben wa ball FAQs here
How Long Before Kegel Exercises Work?
You can start seeing results from your pelvic floor exercise and other kegel workouts in just as little as three weeks.
You might notice that you have better control over your bladder and stronger pelvic muscles.
These results may vary if you have outstanding issues like:
- what type of kegel exercises you’re doing and how frequently you’re doing them
- history of childbirth
- a recent surgery
- history of chronic constipation
- Nerve damage in the pelvic or abdomen area
Are Kegel Exercises Effective?
Pelvic floor training and other exercises are a great way to strengthen your pelvic muscles that support your uterus, bladder and other important functioning organs in your body.
The kegel muscle exercises can be important in preventing:
- Urinary incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Stress incontinence
It’s also important to note that women are not the only ones that can benefit from kegel exercises. Men can also partake in them and it can actually be a great way to keep healthy.
Do Kegel Weights Help You Tone or Make You Tight?
A lot of women ponder whether or not these exercises can help make a tight vagina. Yes, these exercises can help to tighten the vagina while also improving sexual satisfaction.
These exercises are a great way to increase pelvic strength that will tone and tighten.
There is some research out there that suggests using kegel balls after giving birth as a way of increasing sexual gratification and confidence. The balls are also known for helping to strengthen orgasms as well.
Can you walk around with Kegel balls or Ben Wa balls in?
You might want to optimize that kegel muscle to the best of your ability. The idea of walking around with the kegel ball in might make you think you’re putting in extra work.
In reality, you should stay still while doing kegel exercises. You can overexert your vagina and can risk no release from a contraction. That’s not good at all.
Going off of that, you should also not sleep with kegel balls in either. This can also lead to overexertion and pain.
You should only keep it for a limited amount of time every day. At the most you should keep the balls in for six hours but taking a rest is always best to keep from hurting yourself.
How far up do you insert them?
Once you’ve lubed yourself and the balls up, it’s important to insert the balls as far up as you are comfortable.If the balls have a string, this whole process will be a lot easier when you need to remove them.
When inserting the balls, it is important that they feel secure and sturdy within your vaginal canal so if it feels like they are falling out, you need to insert them deeper.
When it comes to individual kegel balls, it’s important to push them in as far as it is comfortable to push them out. This is why it’s important to start with balls that are attached by a string to figure this out.
Hi, my name’s Mariah Olberman! When I was in high school I had an accident that left me with some nerve damage on the right side of my body. This caused me to be unable to do any kind of exercise without feeling pain. The doctors told me that this would never go away because there were no nerves left to heal. However, over time I’ve learned how to begin exercising again and I’ve recently discovered ben wa balls. I created this site to help you learn how to use them safely and effectively! Email me at: email@example.com.